Sunday 19 May 2019

The Gods of Winter by Dale Harker (REVIEW)


★★★★★

The Hunter and his kin thought the Werekind were long gone from the world, but they're back, and they've got a plan to awaken the gods of winter and doom all mankind... 

Val is an ex cop and ex con whose family is being attacked, and he must figure out why. But the possibility of werewolves hadn't crossed his mind.

I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced, entertaining journey! The prose is eloquent and harshly brutal at the same time, which is in keeping with with grim events that unfold. The characters are fantastical yet also very real, and fit seamlessly into the urban and rural settings of Teesdale and County Durham. Each character has a depth that made me genuinely care about their ending. 

Reading about sword wielding warriors and werewolves occupying my homeland, puts me in the mind of a Neil Gaiman tale, as another author who flawlessly combines fantasy with reality. I think it is difficult to make a reader suspend their disbelief in a setting so well known, but this is easily achieved here. 

This book enthralled me from start to finish, and kept me turning pages until the very last.

I would recommend The Gods of Winter to any fan of fantasy and urban fantasy. Both original and imaginative, it creates an alternative Great Britain and a fresh tale of werewolves and old gods.

I loved it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.