Sunday 19 May 2019

The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg (REVIEW)


★★

The main faults of this book for me were pace, world building and the main character. So most of it unfortunately. :/

The pace was so fast that I had no clue how we got from one part to another. It was just like, oh, OK, we're doing that now. The story could have used another 100 pages easy to give us some actual background, and to build relationships! Things don't happen instantly in real life. Or good fantasy.

Speaking of background, I don't know anything about the world. There's different types of magic, but I know nothing about any of them except paper, and what I know about that is minimal. It's supposed to be Victorian England? Lots of historical inaccuracies that took me right out of it.

Ceony is vapid, shallow, self-obsessed and stupid! She jumps to the most ridiculous conclusions on little to no evidence, simply to move the plot along faster. She's completely unlikeable, but not even in a 'love to hate' way. She's really not for me.

The best part of this book was Fennel, the paper dog. Hands down.

I will say the concept was interesting, just so much more could be done with it. The writer's grammar was good at least. That's always a nice start. Maybe it was unfair to judge this when I read it alongside a Brandon Sanderson book... Standards are high!

I will probably give the series another chance as I own the rest of the books, and they're light, easy reads. I hope book two gives us more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.