Sunday 16 November 2014

Interstellar (REVIEW)


Well, what can I say?

The first words that come to mind are breathtaking and beautifully intense.

I have struggled quite a bit with my opinion of this film since watching it last week. On one hand, I love it. It's a complete masterpiece with some of the best acting I've seen this year. On the other hand, I'm so upset that it's basically a piece of plagiarism. 

I can't really give you a side by side comparison without spoiling the whole movie, but haven just read 2001: A Space Odyssey, I can safely say that Christopher Nolan has stolen every plot point. I know they've acknowledged being influenced by 2001, but I feel like this goes a bit further than that. I can only assume that they hoped people wouldn't notice the similarities due to 2001 being such an old movie? With it so fresh in my mind I couldn't help it. 

But, as Interstellar is 3 hours long, it also has a lot of extra plot to pad it out. The story is great really. The characters are very sympathetic, helped a lot by the fantastic acting. Matthew McConaughey is a genius. Over the last year or so he has made his name synonymous with greatness. He's surely got another Oscar nomination out of this performance. 

One of the actors that I was least familiar with is Jessica Chastain. She's a stunning lady and a fabulously emotive actor. I cried. A lot!

For fans of sci-fi or just great movies, this is definitely worth your time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.