Wednesday 2 February 2011

My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys (REVIEW)

My Chemical Romance 
– Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys  
4/5

The first question that sprung to mind when listening to Danger Days was “who are you, and what have you done with My Chemical Romance?”

If you had to pick an album that represents My Chemical Romance, it would surely be Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love was a brilliant first album, yet you could tell that they hadn’t reached their full potential. That potential was reached and succeeded by Three Cheers, a true masterpiece, combining concept with massive songs that easily hold their own as individual entities. Newer fans may consider The Black Parade to be the New Jersey rock heroes' crowning achievement, as it shot them to mainstream stardom. It was certainly a different direction, and not in a bad way. The only thing that let it down in my opinion was the concept becoming a bit of a gimmick, (which is unfortunate seeing as the concept was about a cancer patient). It seems that My Chemical Romance’s sound has constantly evolved from album to album, so maybe I shouldn’t have been so surprised by Danger Days.

The first single to be release from the album, ‘Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)’ seems a bit juvenile, but having listened to it more than once, it definitely grows on you, and lodges itself firmly in your head.  It’s undeniable; this song makes you want to dance. I can hear it reverberating around arenas already.

‘The Only Hope for Me is You’, the second single, is definitely a stand out track on the album. Gerard Way’s voice is at its finest, the song is melodic, it’s sentimental - all of my favourite things about My Chem songs. Another ridiculously catchy tune, with a memorable chorus that packs a powerful punch.

The third single released from the album is ‘SING’. It starts quietly, almost calmly, with a cool beat and Way’s clear, piercing vocals, then kicks in for a chorus of anthemic proportions. This song has to be one of my favourites. Its message is genuine and inspiring.

Other stand out tracks on the album include: ‘Vampire Money’ which is an upbeat rant about not selling out and writing a song for Twilight Saga: New Moon... It even gives Edward’s Volvo a little mention (genius)! This is pure punk!  ‘Planetary [GO!]’ is a dance song through and through, with such the beat! So addictive. And also, ‘Bulletproof Heart’ with a brilliant riff that seems slightly stolen (Andrew W.K. – Party Hard anybody?)  But only slightly. Another massive song that could easily be their next single.

As a whole, it works. The tracks are ordered well, and split up with My Chem’s usual scattering of interludes that we have come to expect. The boys have lost their drummer, and struggled with being a man down, but it is clear they have grown and come a long way since the unadulterated emo that blasted from I Brought You My Bullets. This album is feel-good, not a razorblade in sight. It’s unsurprising that as of January 2011 Danger Days has sold 1 million copies.  As a band, My Chemical Romance have a much wider appeal than they used to, and if they keep churning out original, exciting music like this album, their appeal will only grow wider.

So, in answer to my first (mostly rhetorical) question; My Chemical Romance are all over this music. Toro’s uplifting riffs and Way’s entrancing vocals, and the whole bands general mass of energy – they may be constantly changing, but they certainly haven’t gone anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.