Tuesday 2 June 2015

Poltergeist (2015) (REVIEW)


I really wanted this to be good, because so far I've only seen Sam Rockwell in some pretty darned respectable movies. The cast of Rockwell (Moon, Seven Psychopaths), Rosemarie DeWitt (Mad Men) and Jared Harris (Fringe, Mad Men) gave me hope. But alas, this was the biggest pile of shit (pardon my French) I've ever seen, at least in recent years. 

It was ridiculous from start to finish, with dreadful child acting to boot. I'm not sure how close to the original movie this remake is, but if this was the plot of the original then that must have been horrendous too. Or perhaps the concept has just aged really badly and film makers should leave the past where it belongs? 

I realise that this was a Sam Raimi film, and Sam Raimi traditionally makes pretty ridiculous films such as The Evil Dead. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, maybe I was supposed to be laughing all the way through... But then again, he did allow/help Fede Alvarez to murder his Evil Dead franchise in 2013 with a terrible "remake", so maybe this was a mistake in the same vein. 

Possibly its only saving grace was that Sam Rockwell was bloody funny! He's an excellent actor who found himself horribly out of place in this train wreck. Seriously, don't bother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.